Thursday, November 15, 2007

Asian Stereotypes in Hollywood

There is a stereotype of Asians especially asian men in Hollywood. They are typecast as the character who does martial arts and can kick your butt easy. But is that all Asians are good for? I hardly ever see Jet Li or Jackie Chan play a role that doesn't require them to beat someone up whether it was for good or evil. I don;t ever see them play a romantic role in that they fall in love and get married and what not but they are always fighting somebody. I mean don't get me wrong I love watching Jet Li fight someone but I also would like to see him in a different light. I would like to see an Asian man or woman to play roles similar to Morgan Freeman or Denzel Washington. I mean it doesn't have to be their particular roles but something similar where they aren't just fighting someone.

No comments: